Sunday, February 6, 2011

BURGUNDY...Day 1 DOMAINE des TEMPS PERDUS--Clotilde DAVENNE by Philip S. Kampe

After arriving in PARIS at 6am on 5 February, I was picked up by Taxi and driven to the Paris Bercy Train Station, where I was met by CHABLIS WINE COMMISSION represenative and FLEISHMAN-HILLARD PARIS contact, ISABELLE GILQUIN. I was briefed and caught my train to AUXERRE.

Auxerre is a lovely town, west of Chablis (my final destination). I was picked up by Taxi and rushed for my first meal in Burgundy. Lunch was at the one fork restaurant, La P'TITE BEURSAUDE.

My 3 STAR lunch started with a glass of Chablis and a dozen escargots. Heaven in a shell.
Fois gras followed with a local red wine from Irancy.
Already full and happy, a cheese plate of six local cheeses was dropped off at my table.
What a great beginning to a trip to Burgndy.

After lunch, I met my taxi driver, who drove me to meet with the winemaker and owner of LES TEMPS PERDUS--Clotilde Davenne.

I sampled all of her wines and found all of them to be perfect represenatives of the Burgundien style. Acidic, minerality and finesse driven.
The wines I sampled included:
SAINT BRIS
SAINT-BRIS VICILLES VIGNES
BOURGOGNE ALIGOTE
BOURGOGNE BLANC
PETIT CHABLIS
CHABLIS
CHABLIS 1er CRU
CHABLIS 1er CRU MONTMAINS
CHABLIS GRAND CRU
IRANCY
BOURGOGNE COTES d'AUXERRE
CREMANT de BOURGOGNE

The high quality of these wines were unbelievable. Fortunately, they are distributed in the states and are readily available...

Day 2 has not yet begun.

SAINT-VINCENT is the Patron Saint of the Winegrowers.. The town of CHABLIS hosts the Festival, which I will attend on Sunday.
Parades, barrel tasting, and processions should set the mood...
The adventure continues..

PHILIP S. KAMPE

philip.kampe@thewinehub.com

No comments:

40 Years of Winemaking at Russian River Valleys Sonoma-Cutrer by Philip S. Kampe

 Innovation in Winemaking at Sonoma-Cutrer began forty years ago. The focus has always been innovation for this Russian River Valley winery....